Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Introduction

I suppose that since I just started this blog and I've been a Nursing student longer, I should write an overview of what's happened so far...

I started this journey (nursing) in the Fall of 2005 strangely enough with the intent of becoming a Rad Tech. Unfortunately, the college neglected to tell me until the fall of 2006 that they only accept 7 students into the program a year. Needless to say, I didn't make the cut since there were over 40 people trying to do the same. So, I switched my major to Nursing and started in Fall 2007. My first year went well, passing both Nursing I & II within 2% of a B. Summer went OK, but Fall 08 was not what I wanted. To be quite honest, this was at least mostly my fault. I did not put the sort of effort into Maternity lecture, my test taking strategy was wrong, and I wasn't aware that a case study I was responsible for meant that I was also responsible for being the instructor, which I feel I was not prepared to do nor do I feel that I was qualified to do. Consequently, I failed Maternity by 4%. Critical care started poorly, but I picked it up, and managed a strong C. Pediatrics was a whole other situation. The clinical end of it was in my opinion, nearly a waste of time. We were NOT permitted to do anything aside from bathe & feed the babies, and though I tried to learn as much as I could, it was a little frustrating. Lecture was worse. The teacher did not seem interested in her task, and she seemed to not care for any sort of questioning. I studied harder for this rotation than any other, and ended up failing the semester by.2%. That's 2/10 of 1%. So, (space depending) I'll be back to re-take the semester in this fall ('09), with at least the advantage of having done it once already and a knowledge of what I did wrong. That, and with a renewed sense of purpose.

Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment